Complaints and compliments

Your experience of NHS services

NHS South Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group welcomes feedback, positive or negative, about your experience of local NHS services as this helps us to improve services for patients.

We need to know if you, your relative or someone you care for, has not received a good service.  Please be assured that raising a concern or complaint will not affect your care or treatment in any way.

If you are unhappy with the treatment or service you have received from NHS services, you have the right to make a complaint, have it looked into and receive a response.

If you’re pleased with one of the services commissioned by the clinical commissioning group then please let us know by writing to us at the address below.

Making a complaint

Who can complain?

Anyone can complain about NHS services or treatment they have received, or if they have been affected by the actions or decisions of an NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner.  If you are unable to complain yourself, someone can act on your behalf with your written consent.

How do I make a complaint?

The first stage of the NHS complaints procedure is called ‘local resolution’.  Your complaint should be made to the NHS organisation, or primary care practitioner (GP practice, dental practice, community pharmacy or optician) who provided the service.  Local resolution aims to resolve complaints quickly and as close to the source of the complaint as possible.

You can make your complaint in writing, by email, or verbally.  If you make your complaint verbally, you will be asked to sign and return a written record to ensure that you agree with the contents.  Should you prefer to meet with our Complaints Team to discuss your complaint, this can be arranged, though please note that such meetings are by appointment only.

 Visit the NHS choices website here to find out more about the NHS complaints procedure

Leaflets have been produced to give information to complainants about making a complaint.  This leaflet is available to download here and in large format here.

When should I make a complaint?

A complaint should be made within 12 months from the date it occurred or when it came to your attention.  In some cases if there is good reason why you could not complain sooner and it is still possible to investigate your complaint, it may be possible to waive the time limit.

What happens if my complaint involves a number of different organisations?

If your complaint involves more than one NHS organisation, or the NHS and social care you only need to make one complaint and you will receive a single, coordinated response.  If any part of the joint complaint relates to a primary care service, (that is a GP, dentist, pharmacist, or optician), the complaint will need to be raised with NHS England – their details are provided  under the section related to them.

Where do I send my complaint?

If your complaint is about a hospital, community or mental health service you should send this to the NHS organisation involved.

If your complaint is about a GP practice, dental practice, community pharmacy or optician you should send this to the practice concerned.

If your complaint is about a CCG commissioning or funding decision you should send this to:

South Tyneside Clinical Commissioning Group,
Monkton Hall,
Main Hall,
Monkton Lane,
NE32 5NN.

South Tyneside CCG has contracted with North East Commissioning Service (NECS) for them to manage the complaints function on their behalf.  They will therefore need to pass a copy of your concerns to NECS to investigate on their behalf.  If you are not happy for these details to be shared with NECS you must make it clear at the time of raising your complaint that you do not give consent for the details to be shared.

What if I don’t want to raise my complaint with the service involved?

Some complainants prefer to send their complaint to the commissioner of NHS services.  This is fine, however, the commissioner will consider which organisation is best placed to address your concerns.  The health care provider (for example the hospital or district nursing team) will normally be given the opportunity to respond to your complaint.

NHS South Tyneside CCG

We are the commissioner of local hospital, community and mental health services and you can send your complaint to us about these services.  However, our Clinical Quality Team will, with your consent, need to forward your complaint to the relevant provider organisation, who will then investigate and respond to your complaint.  As commissioners we will take your complaint seriously and will ask the provider to give us a copy of the response to your complaint on conclusion of the investigation.

NHS England

NHS England is the commissioner of primary care services (such as GP and dental practices) and, if you prefer, you can send your complaint about these services to NHS England at the address below:

Tel:                  0300 311 22 33
In writing:      NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

Who can help me in making a complaint?

The North East Independent Complaints Advocacy (ICA) team can guide and support you though the complaints process.  They can help you put your complaint in writing and attend meetings with you.  However, the ICA team does not investigate complaints.

In Northumberland complaints advocacy support is provided to residents by Healthwatch Northumberland, Independent Complaints Advocacy Northumberland (ICAN) who can be contacted on 0845 388 0042.

Support to residents of all other areas of the North East is available from the North East ICA who can be contacted on 0808 802 3000.

Support to Cumbrian residents is also available from the Independent Advocacy Service hosted by People First who can be contacted on 0300 303 8037.

Support to Darlington residents is available from Healthwatch Darlington who will signpost to NHS Complaints Advocacy.  Healthwatch Darlington can be contacted on  0808 801 0383.

For further information on the NHS complaints procedure, please click here.

Investigation and improving services

When you submit a complaint, it is helpful if you could be clear what you would like to achieve as a result of making your complaint, so that the NHS can try to resolve the matter to your satisfaction.

Your complaint will be fully investigated in a manner that is fair to both complainants and staff.  If failings are identified during the investigation, any necessary changes will be made to improve the quality of services.  You will also be advised in the written response to your complaint of any service improvements.

What happens if I am unhappy with the response?

We aim to ensure that all complaints are handled well and that appropriate action is taken to resolve a concern.  We will do everything that we feel is appropriate in order to try and resolve matters to your satisfaction.

If, however, you remain unhappy after your complaint has been addressed, you can ask the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman (PHSO) to review your complaint.  You should do this within twelve months from the date on which the subject matter of the complaint occurred.

The PHSO can be contacted:

Helpline :      0345 015 4033
In writing:       Ombudsman at MillbankTower, Millbank, London, SW1P 4QP

Further information about the Ombudsman is also available on their website

Local Healthwatch

Local Healthwatch supports individuals by providing information about access to services and choice to help enable people to take more control of their own health, treatment and care and understand and use the choices available to them.

For further information on your local Healthwatch please visit their website:

NHS Choices

Reviews of our services can also be posted on NHS Choices.